You must be a West Hollywood Public Access member in good standing to register for workshops, utilize our facilities or reserve equipment. Check out our Steps to Membership for information about how to become a member.
You must be a registered Producer, an Associate to a Producer, an Intern or a Volunteer member of the station to sign up for workshops. You must register for a workshop before showing up! Persons who arrive more than 30 minutes late will not be admitted.
|To register for a workshop, call us at (310) 848-6522 or email|
- Workshops are required for all members that would like to use our facilities or equipment to producer programs.
- Workshops you choose to attend will depend on what equipment and facilities you will need to create and complete your programming.
- After you have been trained on equipment, you are considered certified on the equipment for six months. If you do not use the equipment during those six months, you must take the training again, or pass a proficiency test.
- Company memberships of 4 or more, may request special training sessions outside of our regular schedule.
- Check our current calendar for available workshops.
Description of workshops:
Field & Edit Workshop: Our field & edit workshop is designed to walk new members through the production experience from concept to post production. In this four evening workshop new members learn how to handle our field production equipment, conduct interviews and finish a short video package in Final Cut Pro X.
- Session 1: Pre-production considerations & Field equipment operations
- Session 2: Production in the Field
- Session 3: Post Production Basics I– FCPX user interface, importing media and basic cuts
- Session 4: Post Production Basics II – Finishing and exporting your video
There are only 4 spots available.
Studio Workshop: In this required workshop members experience production hands on and learn how to create a successful studio show from time management to equipment operations.
Advanced Editing Workshop: Prerequisite: Edit workshop Sessions 3-4. This is an advanced editing workshop which incorporates Adobe Photoshop and Apple Motion in to the editing workflow.
Special Workshops: New or Pop up workshops will be announced in our quarterly calendar.
Refer to our calendar for upcoming workshop dates.
! Note: You must be a member in good standing to RSVP for workshops. RSVP for workshops by email, phone or in person. No walk ups / no exceptions.
Equipment and Facilities Available
Field Production Equipment: Camcorders, tripods, microphones and lights are available to members for check out.
- 3 – HD Camcorders (1-CanonVixia HF-S20 & 2-JVC HC-W850)
- 3- Wireless Mic kits (Sennheiser 100 G3)
Edit Bays: We currently have two post production suites
- FCP Pro 5
- FCP X
Studio: WHPA has three-camera studio (Sony DXC-D5WS) which is available for live broadcast recorded productions.
- There is Limited availability for studio
- Members must provide a minimum of 2 crew members to work in our studio!
- Producers receive a DVD or a .mov copy of their completed program (producer must provide media for copy)